Danielle Shapiro was determined to get her money’s worth when visiting a sushi buffet in California. The 24-year-old woman paid the $50 price to get into the restaurant and then went on to consume dozens of sushi rolls and other items at the all-you-can-eat restaurant. Shapiro forced herself to eat as much food as she could handle while at the restaurant but ended up causing herself severe stomach pains and was ultimately rushed to the emergency room at the hospital to be treated for her binge eating stunt.
After paying $50 to get into the Sushi 85 restaurant in Mountain View, California, on December 21, 2021, Shapiro prepared herself for the feast of a lifetime. According to a report published in Daily Mail, Shapiro ate 32 rolls of sushi, four gyozas, a bowl of edamame, two jalapeño poppers, and a bowl of hot miso soup to wash it all down.
Although she managed to make it home after her massive buffet dinner, the next morning, she awoke with severe stomach pains. She was rushed to the hospital, where she was treated for Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease, which is more commonly known as acid reflux.
Before she got sick, Shaprio uploaded her feast in various videos to TikTok, the Chinese social-media video platform. In one video, which has amassed more than eleven million views, Shapiro shows off the sushi rolls she has ordered and explains that she plans to get her money’s worth during this buffet visit.
The resident of San Mateo County, Northern California, explains: “I am a huge fan of sushi. I like to eat it a couple of times a month if I’m lucky. My best friend Amanda was in town for the weekend, and she loves sushi as well, so we were both looking forward to the All you can eat sushi experience.”
She was determined to make the most of her visit to the sushi buffet, so she ordered as much as she could physically eat – even though it ended up making her sick the following day.
“The all-you-can-eat sushi is about $50 a person, so Amanda and I had to make sure we got our money’s worth, which meant eating a lot. Our dinner was about two hours long because we were so stuffed we had to keep taking breaks.”
Shapiro shared dozens of items she ate during her visit to Sushi 85. She explained that she began her sushi feast with a bowl of hot miso soup before moving on to the heavier items.
“Immediately after dinner, we were so full we had to sit in my car for about 30 minutes before driving home,” she said. “My stomach felt very firm from all the sushi and probably the rice that expanded in my stomach. That night I went to sleep at my boyfriend’s house, and I had the worst stomach ache but didn’t think much of it since I had a huge meal! I am not a morning person, so when I woke up around 6 am the next day, I knew something was wrong. My stomach and chest had intense pain, and it was hard to take deep breaths.”
After a few hours at the hospital, Shapiro was given a clean bill of health and allowed to leave. Nevertheless, Shapiro said she would eat sushi again.
“I will definitely eat sushi again! This experience has not ruined sushi for me or the all-you-can-eat sushi experience. I did learn that next time, I need to listen to my body and take things slower.”
Every time you share an AWM story, you help build a home for a disabled veteran.